When was the last time you told your husband that you appreciate him? Do you say “thank you” for the things that he does for you? Those are convicting questions to ask ourselves, huh? It’s so easy to just take someone for granted. Especially the people that you’re closest to. Do you find yourself saying (even to yourself) “they know how much I love and appreciate them” or “I do his laundry, clean the house, take care of the kids and cook for him so I’m sure he knows”. Perhaps he does … or perhaps he doesn’t. Either way, it’s still nice to hear that someone appreciates you and is willing to take the time to say so.
April is “Couple Appreciation Month”! I had no idea but it’s true. I came up with some ways — big and small — to show the love of your life how much you appreciate him.
- Just say “thank you”! A sincere thank you can go along way. If your hubby likes notes or cards, take a few minutes and write a short note letting him know how much you appreciate all that he does for you. Thank him for being the man that he is. Leave the note in his briefcase, in his car, on his pillow, on the mirror, wherever.
- Fill his car with gas This may sound a little odd but it’s one less stop that he has to make on any given day. He does so many things for you … this little thing shouldn’t be too difficult.
- Wash his car This one piggy backs on the previous. He’ll notice — I promise!
- Make him his favorite meal Or one of his favorite meals. Nothing says “I appreciate you” like making his tummy happy!
- Let him have his hobby Whether it’s watching sports, going golfing with the guys, fishing or whatever it might be. He works hard for you so let him have his “down time”.
- Be affectionate Whether in public or not, affection is a wonderful thing and doesn’t have to lead to anything other than “I’m enjoying you and this moment”. So hold his hand, put your head on his shoulder, walk arm in arm, just kiss him on the cheek. Go ahead — it’s okay!
- Get your nails done I know this sounds like it’s more about you but hear me out. Sometimes in our day to day routines, we forget that we have someone we love coming home to see us. Doing your nails might be a way of saying that you wanted to do a little “something” to make yourself pretty just for him. You never know, it might lead to a little more “something, something”. My husband likes red!!!
- Plan a night out or a weekend getaway This may not be as easy as it sounds if you have kids and lots of activities but try to work something in. If the budget is tight, check in your area for free or low cost things to do…museums, high school or college sports (if he likes sports), hikes (and maybe a picnic), volunteer opportunities to do together, or a class that you can take together. Be creative and think outside the box!
- Give him a massage He’s worked all day and he deserves to relax a little. Perhaps he just needs a little help and encouragement.
- Make love I know, I know … you knew this was going to be on the list but, seriously, not much says how much you love and appreciate him more than showing him by stimulating all of those feelings and desires. So have fun!
There are so many ways to show you appreciate your husband and this list is just the beginning. Take a few minutes and plan something … you’ll both feel good about it! I would love to hear your ideas so share with the rest of us.